Please read carefully
Terms and Conditions of Entry for 2021
1. All entries are to be pastel (soft). Works may be on any surface including canvas, and mixed media is acceptable with at least 75% pastel on top.
2. Entries must be the original work of the entrant, which precludes works undertaken in workshops or under tutelage, and/or copied from any source other than that belonging to the entrant. Source material to be available if requested. Entries must have been completed in the last two years and must not have previously won any award in any competition in the previous 2 years prior to 20th September 2021 excepting PSA monthly online Zoom competitions.
3. Maximum Size of finished painting for exhibition purposes only: 550mm x 750mm (including frame)
4. Maximum of 3 entries/member – in different categories and only one painting per category. Non-PSA Members maximum 1 entry. All PSA members must be financial by 20th September 2021.
5. Categories for 2021:
People/Animals Scapes Still Life Abstract
6. All paintings can be traditional or contemporary in style.
7. Prizes in each category except Abstract:
1st $1000 2nd $500 3rd $300.
Inaugural Abstract Prize:1st prize only $500.
8. The Pastellist of the Year ($500) is only for PSA members and will be chosen from the four 1st Place awards submitted in each category.
9. Alexandra Award entries are invited for PSA members only who have never won a first prize award in any competition (PSA or other) with a pastel painting. Members may enter both Sections and the General Competition (3 paintings in total)
Title - “Freedom”
Prizes 1st $600 2nd $200 3rd $100
10. Arthouse Northside Peoples’ Choice Award ($150 Gift Certificate). Chosen by members of the public at Latrobe Art Space Gallery, Paddington only. This gift certificate can be accessed online as well as in person at the art store (in Deagon, Brisbane).
11. Members Entry fee of $20 for each painting (max 3). Non Members $30 (one only).
12. All works must be for sale and there is a 30% commission on sales. Please NOTE – clients can email the PSA of their intent via the website for purchase or alternatively buy directly at the gallery. The artist will be contacted by the PSA and put in touch with the client and the sale will go through the treasurer of the PSA. All details including framed/unframed and freight/delivery to be handled by the artist. By submitting the Entry Form you consent to being contacted by the PSA with any prospective buyer.
13. All signatures on entered artworks will be digitally blocked out for judging only. Entries submitted must be photographed before framing.
14. All works will be seen by the judge online only, though all works may not be hung if available space is restricted. The judge’s decisions are final.
15. Media reproduction of entries is allowed for promotional purposes by PSA.
16. Online entries are available via website with payment via direct deposit or Pay Pal. The website page will be live Monday 23rd August for uploading of images only. You will be unable to see any of the entries until the event becomes public after 5th October.
17. There are two components to the Annual Awards:
submitted and judged online and
the option of a physical exhibition in at Latrobe Art Space Gallery, Brisbane.
18. It is not compulsory to have your painting exhibited but is strongly encouraged.
19. All Entry forms, online only, to be completed with payment of entry fees by Monday 20th September 2021 and if any difficulties arise please contact or PSA Exhibition Coordinator Tricia Reust or phone 07 3889 4619. NO LATE ENTRIES ACCEPTED.
20. All works for the physical exhibition to be clearly labelled on the back with artist’s name, address, phone, title and price and framed in a professional manner.
21. All works are to be ready for display with hanging wire or cord and "D" rings firmly attached. Gallery specifics requires additional "D" hooks to be placed 75mm from the top of frame with the "D" facing upwards. This is essential.
22. All care will be taken in storing and hanging of artworks, but no responsibility will be taken by the PSA, or those associated with the Latrobe Art Space Gallery.
23. Exhibition will be held at Latrobe Art Space Gallery, 134 Latrobe Terrace, Paddington QLD 4064
24. Receipt of works by hand at Latrobe Art Space Gallery, 134 Latrobe Terrace, Paddington QLD 4064
from 10 am to noon Tuesday 5th October.
25. Post courier/freight works, to PSA Exhibition Coordinator Tricia Reust 168 King Street, Clontarf, QLD, 4019 Australia.
All works being couriered must be received by Thursday 30th September. Under no circumstances will the PSA incur courier/freight costs. All freight arrangements and costs must be organized and prepaid by the entrant. Payment of a $10 repacking fee is required for the PSA to repackage your artworks, and packaging must be of a standard to enable safe repackaging.
26. Personal collection of sold and unsold works will be after 3pm and until 5pm Sunday 10th October. No paintings may be removed before this date and time. There is no opportunity for storage, so any works remaining after this time will incur a significant PSA storage fee and/or be discarded. Freighted works will be returned after this date.
27. All proceeds from sales and prizes will be paid by direct deposit into your nominated bank account within a month after the exhibition closes.
28. Please Note - Any entry submitted, particularly if noted for an award, is to be available for actual real time viewing if required. This requirement also pertains to reference material for such entries. Digital enhancement techniques only permitted applied to the images are the use of the tools - rotating and cropping of the image. Any other digital enhancements are strictly forbidden. We are trusting in the integrity of entrants as to the accuracy of the photo submitted and be aware that you are signing an agreement to all Conditions as set out in this document.
Because the judging will be from online images, it is strongly suggested that you consider having professional photos taken of your work, (of course before framing!) or that you obtain assistance from a PSA member who knows how to go about photographing works to their advantage or view the advice in the PSA newsletter.
Diary of Dates -
Entry open - 23rd August via website only (www.psacomps.com.au)
Entry form & fees in by Monday 20th September – online only (www.psacomps.com.au).
Judging online - Tuesday 21st September and results finalized by Friday 1st October. Notification of results emailed to winners by PSA secretary on Monday 4th October.
Exhibit delivery by freight by Thursday 30th September to 168 King St., Clontarf, QLD, 4019.
Exhibit Delivery in person: Tuesday 5th October. 10 am to noon Notes below*
Official Opening and Celebration: 2- 4 pm Saturday 9th October (Judges comments will be presented here) Currently there is space for 40 people inside and 50 people outside. To attend you must RSVP by Monday 4th October.
Close of Exhibition: Sunday 10th October 3pm. Collection of works after 3pm and until 5pm Sunday.
*Notes for delivery of works:
If you believe you may have trouble delivering your paintings in Paddington, you can alternatively drop your properly packaged (for transport) and labelled paintings to either:
Please email the Secretary for further details
This window of opportunity will only be available from Monday 27th September to Friday 1st October. If your items are incorrectly labelled and/or packed and /or framed, there is no liability from the PSA if it is lost or broken and the paintings may not be taken on your behalf.